Willing Hands Needlework Design

"She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands"
Proverbs 31:13

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog to keep you updated on my teaching schedule, designs, new designs, kit availability,
works in progress and other stitching related activities. From time to time I'll also be adding extra info about goings-on in my life.

To see my current teaching schedule, teaching pieces and retired designs, click on "older posts" at the bottom of each page.

Thank you for visiting!

Thursday, July 15, 2010

A new design experiment




I just completed this new design yesterday. It was really just playing with a fun color of linen ( Witch's Brew ) and an idea for an envelope shaped mini etui. It worked but not as well as I wanted it to and so I'm chalking it up as a learning experience. The envelope points need to overlap more - now I know. I have plans to use this shape with a sampler inspired theme and am sketching on it now.

The third photo shows the 'back' side of the envelope tied closed. The second photo shows the outside of the entire envelope, unfolded and the first photo shows the inside of the envelope, opened up. The folded up size is 3 x 3 inches. I used several overdyed flosses from Gloriana, one of which, "Harvest Grape", provided the color theme. Eventually I may make this available as a chart and instructions but have no plans to teach of kit it.

12 comments:

  1. Betsy, your new design is just gorgeous and I must tell you that I especially love the pyramids:-))
    Have a great day,
    Isabelle from France

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty! It's interesting to hear you talk about how you experiment with new designs. I'm glad you started this blog! I love the prettiness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! My first comment from France! Bienvenue!
    I lived in Brussels for 2 years in the early 1980's and used to speak French. Alas it is mostly gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Betsy, I so love American designers and stitchers that I always try to improve my english lenguage and I am going to take classes on September in order to speak really fluently because I am planning to travel to the ASA on the first year, in 2011.
    I agree with you, Brussels is a very gorgeous city and it is funny since I am belgian by my grand-father and french in the other side :-))
    I really would like to congratulate you on your designs which are fabulous : unfortunately I won't be able take a workshop with you for the moment but I hope I would have this opportunity in the next years : I hope so !!
    Wishing you a very nice day,
    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad I found your blog. It is very pretty. I hope you will release it has chart someday.

    Looking forward to more of your designs,
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Isabelle! By the way, my real name is Elizabeth which is English for Isabelle. I also have Belgian ancestry on my father's mother's side. They were Walloons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elizabeth, we habe both beautiful first names :-)and so you are a little Walloon side as me :-))
    My belgian ancestry came in France in 1876 when France missed doctors and then all the men of my family are doctors.
    I am sure you have now a more sunny days than us, here, in Brittany!!
    Have a nice day,
    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this darling envelope mini etui, and would love to have an opportunity to stitch it. Looking foward to seeing more of your beautiful design creations!

    ReplyDelete