Willing Hands Needlework Design

"She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands"
Proverbs 31:13

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog to keep you updated on my teaching schedule, designs, new designs, kit availability,
works in progress and other stitching related activities. From time to time I'll also be adding extra info about goings-on in my life.

To see my current teaching schedule, teaching pieces and retired designs, click on "older posts" at the bottom of each page.

Thank you for visiting!

Sunday, March 13, 2011

It's finally finished!



I finished the last of the 'smalls' for the Sampler Casket Etui last night. Above are two views of the complete design. The first photo shows the front of the casket and one side of each of the smalls. The smalls are, left to right, the Quaker scissor fob, the Pattern Darning scissor sheath, the Dutch thimble or button bag, the Spanish/Mexican needle book with Spanish side showing and the Scottish alphabet pin cube. The second photo shows the back of the casket with all of the smalls, except the scissor sheath, flipped over. The second side of the needle book is the Mexican side and features a panel worked in Aztec stitch. The scissor sheath is only stitched on one side - the other side is antique gold silk Dupioni which is also used to line the etui, the needlebook and the thimble bag.

Now comes the really hard part - making the class charts and writing the instructions. This phase will take me almost as long as the stitching did. Anyway, it has been a lot of fun to design and stitch and I'm pleased with the results - it's always a gamble as to whether a design idea is going to actually work. This one has a happy ending. Enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats! it is stunning ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. Your new project is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous! Another winner! I hope you teach somewhere close to me.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - incredible - I'd love to peek inside...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! The inside is lined in antique gold silk Dupioni - you can see it in the photo a couple of posts below this one, though it looks more orange in the photo than it actually is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me add to the comment above - the lining silk is what the etui and the smalls are sitting on in the two photos of the complete design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Betsy, this is quite impressive !!! It is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betsy...This is absolutely lovely! I can't wait to find somewhere to take this as a class!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Betsy, this is utterly marvellous. A new project on this scale is the impetous I need to apply myself, and finish my toy box, I'm nothing if not a procrastinator!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness Betsy this is just wonderful! Are you planning to teach it sometime? Will class attendance be required or will it be an online class?

    Wendy Holt

    ReplyDelete
  12. This will be an 'in person' class - you'll have to attend. As you can imagine, the construction is pretty complex and there are some unusual stitches used. I've already had several inquiries for booking classes. As soon as classes are finalized I will post them on the teaching schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I can't wait! This is a "Legacy Project!" for sure! Please let me me know When and Where!
    Sincerely,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete