Willing Hands Needlework Design

"She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands"
Proverbs 31:13

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog to keep you updated on my teaching schedule, designs, new designs, kit availability,
works in progress and other stitching related activities. From time to time I'll also be adding extra info about goings-on in my life.

To see my current teaching schedule, teaching pieces and retired designs, click on "older posts" at the bottom of each page.

Thank you for visiting!

Friday, October 28, 2011

A New Design - Finally!

I haven't written anything here in quite a while - it has been a very busy summer and fall with lots of travel.  But now I'm back with a new design!

Some of you will remember the whirligig which I stitched in 2004.  I used to carry it around to workshops until it started to look a little frayed and the poor dragonfly sitting on the 'summer' blade was about to lose his wings.  It is pictured below.  A lot of stitchers wanted to do this design but Mike Fraser of Sylvan Treasures, who made the stand, wasn't interested in mass producing them.  Can't say that I blame him as it was a complex piece of engineering and he did a magnificent job.

Four Seasons Whirligig

In 2005 I took some of the bands from each blade and came up with "All Year Square" which has been one of my most popular designs.  It's pictured further back in this blog under Current Workshop Designs.  For years I've planned to take the full design from each blade and make some sort of box, and now I've finally done it, though it's not exactly a box.  It's a French etui and is pictured below, opened and closed.  Since "All Year Square" is a 2 inch cube, this piece is called "Tall Year Square".  The inside houses a pin cube, wool felt needle page, scissor holder, tool holder and rings for floss as well as a scissor fob.

Spring and Summer Panels
Fall and Winter Panels
Opened
This is a very colorful piece which uses 6 colors of linen, 5 colors of silk Dupioni, 6 colors of pearl cotton and around 30 different overdyed silk flosses from Gloriana Threads.  It has stitching on the bottom and also on the inside of the lid, though they are not visible in the photos.  It also has beads, pearl buttons, cords, tassels and barrel buttons - those double ended tassels on the corners of the lid.

The charts for this piece are already done so once I write the instructions it will be available as a workshop - next year.

PS:  Look for another new toy in the next few days!






4 comments:

  1. Love it!!!! I hope you come to the tristate (NY/NJ/CT) area again soon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - I love the Tall year square, it sounds like a fun piece to stitch, and I can't wait for yet another toy!

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Sorry I didn't get to stick around Wednesday morning to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Donna! It wasn't finished on Wednesday - I still had to stitch the lid and scissor fob and get them constructed, plus make all of the cords.
    Love your cat avatar! I had a cat that looked just like that years ago. She accompanied us to Europe for 4 years and died in 1994 at the age of 17. Still miss her!

    ReplyDelete