Willing Hands Needlework Design

"She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands"
Proverbs 31:13

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog to keep you updated on my teaching schedule, designs, new designs, kit availability,
works in progress and other stitching related activities. From time to time I'll also be adding extra info about goings-on in my life.

To see my current teaching schedule, teaching pieces and retired designs, click on "older posts" at the bottom of each page.

Thank you for visiting!

Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Eve Wrap-up

It's New Year's Eve and we're getting ready to honor our Southern roots by feasting on black eyed peas and greens, to bring prosperity in the coming year.  But first I wanted to post a few more photos...

The first is a stumpwork panel I stitched on for the Northwest Sampler Guild.  The guild has taken on the extremely ambitious project of reproducing Martha Edlin's casket ( in the V&A's permanent collection along with several other pieces of Martha's exquisite needlework ) in actual size.  I volunteered to work on this panel and stitched on it, off and on, for two years.  It isn't complete because the missing flower motifs are worked in detached buttonhole stitch on wire and that is one stitch I've never come close to mastering.  It was a very humbling experience trying to reproduce Martha's work - she was 11 years old when she made this casket!  The theme of her casket is "The Seven Virtues" and this panel illustrates Justice and Temperance.  The whole project is being coordinated by my soul sister, Marianne Adler, who also came up with the wonderful idea for the Jack in the Box in my Toy Chest Etui.


Martha Edlin reproduction panel


Next...
I've made another finial pin cushion, this one especially for the above mentioned Marianne.  It was a Christmas gift and I held off posting photos so that she wouldn't see it here before opening it on Christmas morning.  The colors are much more bold than my first finial and they were inspired by Marianne's blue and yellow kitchen and the red pillows in her living room.  The stitching is actually a line drawing of the design painted on the finial.  When I used to make Ukrainian eggs I always worked out a design on graph paper first, using colored pencils to choose the palette.  If the design on the finial was unwrapped and laid flat, it would look like the line drawing stitched on the pin cushion.





Happy, healthy, prosperous and blessed 2012, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so cool about the Martha Edlin casket! What a beautiful panel too! Detached buttonhole freaks me out -- did it once, but not on a wire. Love that finial for your friend too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The casket looks absolutely gorgeous! I can believe that it would be a very humbling experience to try to reproduce somehting that the needlework masters did houndred of years ago. Your casket looks wonderful and I bet that it was a lot of fun to stitch on too!

    ReplyDelete