Willing Hands Needlework Design

"She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands"
Proverbs 31:13

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog to keep you updated on my teaching schedule, designs, new designs, kit availability,
works in progress and other stitching related activities. From time to time I'll also be adding extra info about goings-on in my life.

To see my current teaching schedule, teaching pieces and retired designs, click on "older posts" at the bottom of each page.

Thank you for visiting!

Saturday, March 25, 2017

A new year, a new design

Happy Spring, everyone!

I've spent the winter designing and stitching and the result is a new workshop piece.  This one is a jump out of the box, color-wise, as the linen is a very pale yellow and the color palette is very Spring-like.  I suppose that, back in February, I was looking out at the bleak winter landscape and wishing for warmth and flowers.

The theme this time around is "swans" - swan eggs, baby swans, adolescent swans, full grown swans.    The title of the design is The Swan's Bower and the original inspiration came from a motif on an 1813 English Sampler which is in my collection.  Another inspiration was a motif on a sampler that I saw in a museum in Timaru, New Zealand last year.

The format for this etui comes from an antique needle book that I bought at Beating Around the Bush in Australia last year.  The original is burgundy colored velvet and is rather worn and ugly, but the construction of it fascinated me and I thought that I could take the format and run with it.  The original was commercially made in England in the early 1900's

My version is much larger and has pockets inside, made from the yellow silk Dupioni lining fabric.  There are 3 "smalls" to tuck into the pocket - a scissor holder and fob and a floss holder.  Also included is a swan beeswax thread waxer and a tiny enameled swan charm.  The center of the inside of the book has an attached needle/pin holder which has a thick piece of yellow wool felt inside to hold the needles/pins.

This design will be available as of January 2018 as a two day workshop.  The kit fee will be $180 and will include all of the supplies needed to complete the design - 32 count linen, silk Dupioni lining, interfacings, comic board, skirtex, Gloriana silk floss in 8 colors, DMC pearl cotton, needles, pins, charm, thread waxer, wool felt, full color charts and thorough instructions.

Once again, Happy Spring!

5 comments:

  1. This makes my heart sing! Hopefully this will be a Salty Yarns class next year.

    See you there in June!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the thread keeper. Would love to know how that's made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY, I do love that design with swans. Sign me up! We need to book you when you come to East Texas in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This design is simply stunning...oh what I wouldn't give to be able to be in one of your classes!

    ReplyDelete