Willing Hands Needlework Design

"She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands"
Proverbs 31:13

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog to keep you updated on my teaching schedule, designs, new designs, kit availability,
works in progress and other stitching related activities. From time to time I'll also be adding extra info about goings-on in my life.

To see my current teaching schedule, teaching pieces and retired designs, click on "older posts" at the bottom of each page.

Thank you for visiting!

Friday, June 16, 2017

A Sad Day at Willing Hands

Those of you who have taken my classes over the years, have been my friends and have followed my career, know that I live on a small farm in Virginia and have been blessed with two wonderful Arabian mares.

Yesterday we had to euthanize both of them. 

   I was one of those little girls who got bit by the horse bug at a very early age and never recovered.  I spent my entire childhood and early teens dreaming of having a horse of my own.  Life circumstances interfered and it was not until my family moved to Loudoun County, Virginia 22 years ago that I finally decided to make my life-long dream come true.  My friend Melissa and I spent weeks looking for just the right horse and we found her on a farm in Woodstock, Virginia.  I was leery of the price but Melissa said, "Just write the check.  She's perfect!".  I bought Roszie when I was 47 years old.  We had many years of wonderful trail rides, going at flat-out gallops across the fields of central Virginia.  She was an amazing show horse as well and she earned my daughter numerous ribbons.

Roszie had been retired for several years due to arthritis and other joint issues.  She would have been 29 years old on June 30.



When we first bought our farm we boarded two other horses for a friend.  One was a black Quarter Horse named Raven, who is portrayed on my Toy Chest Etui along with Roszie.  The other was a bay Arabian mare named Mystic.  Their owner decided to take Raven off for dressage training but didn't want to keep Mystic, so she stayed with us, became my husband's horse and lived with us for 11 years.

About 6 weeks ago, Mystic came down with Cushings disease, a very common illness in older horses.   It caused her to founder in both front hooves and she became instantly lame.  She also had developed an insulin imbalance and arthritis in her hooves.  Cushings is incurable and she was not responding to medication for both that and the insulin issues.  Her future looked bleak, she would have required daily medication, she would never have been able to graze freely again, she would have been frequently confined to her stall and, of course, she could never be ridden again.  In other words, she would have had no quality of life.



So, we made the terribly sad but completely necessary decision to relieve them of their pain.

They will always hold a huge part of my heart and I will miss them for the rest of my life.  But I will remember all of the joy they brought me and I fully expect to meet up with them at The Rainbow Bridge one day.


24 comments:

  1. Betsy, my heart is aching for you. I know how much you cherished you horses, and all your animals. So sorry for your losses. Diane Dotsko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Betsy, I am so very sorry to hear this. I know how special your horses were to you, especially Roszie. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very sorry. It's so hard to do the right thing sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear this news Betsy. It's so hard to lose the animals we love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Betsy...may memories of better days bring you comfort on the loss of your beloved playmates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always amazed how chance brings people and animals together but how once together, they become the perfect match. You were lucky to have these lovely creatures in your life, but they were so lucky to have you too. I am so sorry for your sad loss. Irene x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry, Betsy. Our "pets", large or small are such a huge part of our lives. I'm glad you were able to fulfill your dream and had so many wonderful years that are now wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betsy I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure they had a wonderful life with you... hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That kiss says it all Betsy.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Betsy, I am so sad for you! I know how you loved those horses. Grieve because it is a tremendous loss....and then treasure all those years of memories! Much love, wb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Betsy: I am so sorry, the comfort is they are not suffering with illness's anymore, you have wonderful memories of them I am sure.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Continued prayers for you in your loss. From our discussion I know these were your four legged babies but you did your very best for them
    .

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved animals!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Betsy, i am so sorry for your loss. And very sorry you had to make the decision, but that is love, isn't it! I am sure you will meet up with them again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry, Betsy. I understand your grief.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deepest sympathy for your loss of these lovely companions who shared happy hours with you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so sorry for your loss, Betsy. We have a horse struggling now, too. Hoping for happier days soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Betsy, I am hoping each day finds you more and more at peace. They will always be with you. -Kathy Sandvik

    ReplyDelete
  20. What is remembered, lives.
    I had my own horse most of my growing up years. His passing was something I never wanted to know of, so I let him go to a grandfather for his grandchildren when he was 18.
    I can imagine your sadness. And struggle for for just remembering the happy times. I'm glad I believe that the spirit lives on and often is with us and only the body dies.
    Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations, Betsy! What a fabulous project. I especially love all the little critters :-))))

    ตารางคะแนนบุนเดสลีกา

    ReplyDelete
  22. Betsy, just read about your loss on the farm, I am very sorry for you and your family. Animals are so amazing for the love they share with us.

    ReplyDelete